Monday, October 8, 2007

The week in food

I have been on blog-cation. But this week was pretty good in food, some of which I will not bother to recount because I know I will make again. Lets take this starting todays lunch. very good. I cooked a scrambled egg with mushrooms and green onions and topped with mozzarella cheese. I put that on an onion bun with shredded cabbage and dill pickles. It was so good. Last night for dinner clyde made black bean tacos, and I mention it because he did something I have never done. He smushed up the black beans while cooking them, they were kind of like refried bean consistency. He flavored them with salt, cumin, and chili powder. (not much cumin at all). with sour cream, sauce, cabbage, and cheese they were really good. This was sunday. Lunch was leftovers from Saturday night. That was eggplant Parmesan with bread sticks. Since I make this all of the time I will delay on writing the recipe, since I have so many to put in that I will not be remaking although I liked. Lunch Saturday was a beach picnic. Like Friday. but slightly variated. I had apple slices, carrot slices, and friday I had toasted bread and hummus. saturday I had crackers and tofu dip. Both days I also had slices of cheddar cheese. So good at the beach.
Friday night we had something I had been craving: BBQ. only it wasn't. I should have looked closer at the recipe, but I saw molasses on the list and assumed.... it was still good, but not bbq. This is what went down

(psudo)BBQ tempeh spread (for 3 people)
8 oz of tempeh finely chopped. I used flax kind, and it was really good cut up into pieces, I didn't have that texture issue I have a lot with tempeh.
1 and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
cook the tempeh in the chili powder and about a tablespoon of oil for about 7 minutes. They suggest that after you cook it you stir in:
1 rib celery chopped
1/4 cup minced red onions
But rubbo doesn't like celery and I don't like raw onions, so I omitted, and it was fine.
In a bowl combine fake BBQ sauce (which is good, but not bbq, so lets call it a new name...like special sauce cause I think the special sauce is a similar mixture)
sauce ingrediants:
1/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons ketchum
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon molasses
1 small minced garlic clove
salt and pepper.
Mix the tempeh with the sauce. They say let it sit for 30 minutes refrigerated, but I didn't and it worked. it was good. but clyde didn't like it.
Lets see, the day before was...
Vegetable hot pot with cheese triangles
This is like a pot pie, but more stew with scones on top

for six people

2 garlic cloves crushed
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound pototoes
3 cups chopped mushrooms
1 chopped carrot
then a combo of 2 pounds of other vegetables. I think I used zucchini, and extra beans. I think I am missing a vegetable.
4 teaspoons flour
2and 1/2 cups stock (I used mushroom)
14 oz can of chopped tomaotes
1 table tomato puree (I did more puree and less tomatoes because I don't like whole tomatoes and it worked fine)
1 teaspoon thyme
14 oz can of beans
salt and pepper
Shoot I can't go back to a normal color
preheat oven to 350. heat oil in a pan you can put into the oven but also use on the stove. add onion and fry to how you like. add garlic and chili powder. cook another minute
add vegetables (not bean and tomato) and fry 4 minutes.
add flour and cook 1 minute
add stock, tomatoes (puree too), thyme, salt and pepper. I added white wine too, about 2 tablespoons, but if I had red I would have used it instead. bring to a boil.
cover and cook in oven for thirty minutes.

Topping
2 cups self rising flour (the net says that you can get self rising from all purpose by adding 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt for every cup of flour.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
chives
5 table spoons of milk
Mix butter in with flour with your fingers until mixed. add half the grated cheese and chives, and mix. stir in milk, and make a dough. pat dough into a circle, they suggest making 12 triangles about 1 inch thick, but I made them skinner.

Before putting them on the casserole add in your beans, then put the scones on top. cook uncovered for 25 minutes.

No comments: