Sunday, October 28, 2007

talk about lazy/ bread/

I won't even go through last week. It was pretty much repeats with the exception of teryaki tofu that sucked sucked sucked. I am not a baked tofu fan. I like it chewy, not soft.
So today I got up and had some oatmeal with yogurt and apple slices. yummy. clyde and I were going bodyboarding on the other side of the island (sandy side) so I made our take out lunch of hummus, bread that I made the other day (recipe at bottom of page), feta, boiled eggs, cut carrots and mushrooms, and apple slices.
We got almost there and found out a fire was going crazy on that side and it was mandatory evacuation and the roads were closed. So we turned around and had French fries at Macdonald's and went home. Its been raining here on this side like crazy, I hope everyone over there is all right.
Tonight I decided on calzone with fake meatballs inside, as suggested by clyde. It needed more cheese (as also suggested by clyde), or salt or SOMETHING, I am not sure what. We had an excess of tomatoes in the backyard so I made the sauce using them. It was kind of sweet tasting.
here is a days worth of recipes:

bread:
Ingredient List for 2 loaves:
2 and 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
2 and 1/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sugar if you don't have maple)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of salt
4 and 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup 6 grain cereal from health food store bins mixed with flaxseeds and magic bulletted until not hard and chunky
1 cup whole grain flour
I got about 10 leaves of basil and a sprig of rosemary from the backyard

In a large bowl combine yeast, 1/4 cup of the water, and the maple sugar. Leave for about 10 minutes while the yeast does its magic and turns bubbly.
In a separate bowl combine flours and the six grain cereal. mix to blend.
After the yeast is ready add to the LIQUID (I forget this and add it to the dry all the time so its no big deal) the salt, olive oil, and the rest of the water
Add half of the dry into the wet and mix. then add the rest of the dry.
Put onto a floured board, and add herbs. I do this simply by kneading the bread on top of them.
Knead for about 10 minutes. Here is a good link on how to knead and all of that stuff:
http://cookingchrissy.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-was-making-bread-all-wrong.html
After Kneading put into an oiled bowl for about an hour while the bread doubles in size.
After it rises put it into your baking apparatus. I use an oiled loaf pan sometimes, sometimes I shape it into an Italian loaf and cook it on a baking sheet (oiled), Clyde puts it into a boiling pot and cooks it in them. Its pretty loose.
Let the bread rise in the cooking apparatus for an hour.
Preheat oven to 450
cook the bread at 450 for 10 minutes
lower heat (with bread still inside ) to 350 and cook for 25 more minutes. mmmmmmmmmm.

I have decided to put dinner on the next page to avoid overcrowding

No comments: