Sunday, October 28, 2007

fake meatball calzone

I decided to do another page because there is getting to be a lot of recipes on one page. Now there is going to be a lot of linking.
Tonights dinner (and order I made it in)
First I took out the tofu and started pressing it.
Next I made the Pizza dough. (click link for recipe) and let that rise.
I realize that the recipe calls for all reg. flour and I put in the 1/2 whole wheat, and that is probably why my pizza dough never rises that much. So its your choice.
Next I got the tomatoes from outback. We have Juliet tomatoes.
I read last night about taking the skin off before making a sauce, so I made an X on the top of each tomato, put it into boiling water for about 2 minutes (until I saw the skin break), and then into an ice bath. I peeled the skin off, which included chopping the tops off and wondered why didn't I just chop the tops off in the first place instead of making the X since I have to do it anyway. My hypothesis is this: they were pretty watery inside, so maybe chopping the tops off makes them more watery. hmmm. Then I magic bulletted them and made the sauce like normal. (click sauce for sauce link)
As the sauce cooked I took out the tofu and made the fake meatballs (click fake meatballs for link).
I only used half to tofu for the fake meatballs, I crumbled the other half, and seasoned it with garlic salt and tomato sauce to use as my fake ricotta.
Last, I decided on zucchini, portabello mushrooms, and broccoli for the inside filling. I sauteed them up together.
Time to assemble. This has taken me awhile to prefect. I cut the dough into thirds, and roll out a rectangle of dough. Before I fill the dough up I put it on an oiled baking sheet. Then I layer mozzarella cheese, 3 meatballs (half the reciple made 9), tofu ricotta, the vegetable mix, and topped it all with sauce, maybe another layer of cheese would be good here. Then I do the short top and bottom turn over, and then the sides. I should take a picture next time. It gets ripped a lot.
Cook at 375 for 20 minutes. yummmmmmm

No comments: