Saturday, October 13, 2007

cookies and hummus

yesterday was a cooking day. I spent most of the day in the kitchen having a gay old time. this is what I made:



cookies:

chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

1 and 1/2 sticks of butter softened

1 and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed

ditto amount for granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup all purpose flour

(I also added 2 tablespoons flax meal to help with the butter situation)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 and 1/2 cups quick rolled oats

1 cup chocolate chips

(optional 3/4 cup raisins)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I used sunflour seeds that I toasted, it worked fine)

I also threw in about 1/8 cup of shredded coconut



Put butter and sugars in a big bowl and bean until smooth, 2-3 minutes

add eggs and vanilla, beat one more minute, until combined



Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt

add into wet mix and beat until smooth



Use rubber spatula to mix in oats, chocolate, coconut, seeds, and raisins



cover and refridgerate for at least 6 hours but up to 5 days. can freeze for 2 months.

if frozen thaw in fridge first.



cook on 350 for 10-15 minutes on baking sheets on wax paper (or just oil the pan like I did) and make sure they are at least 2 inches apart.

yummmmmy



Hummus



I can or 1 and 1/2 cups chickpeas. Even if your using the can make sure you still cook them some so they will be super soft. This way you don't have to use a blender.

I garlic clove, minced

1/4 cup tahini

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon parsley leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon cayanne



cut up garlic and put into a bowl. put the very soft chickpeas on top (IF not soft you have to use magic bullet, or worse, the blender). mash them up with a fork until they are...mashed.

add everything else and mix. mmmmm.



Then for dinner I made falafel and roti. recipe if you click on falafel.

No comments: