Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the burrito

Burritos at home. I bet everyone has a recipe for it. but, before I got this recipe I made burritos as a don't know what to make dish. Now they are part of my favorites list.
here is what I do:

If only there were purple sweet potatoes on the mainland. Are there? If you can get purple sweet potatoes they are the best for this dish. But if not....

Ingredients list:

1 potato cut into cubes, kind of small
1 can of black beans or 1 and 1/2 cup black beans
vegatables. Tonight I used a combo of a carrot, some broccoli (about 6 small head bunches), cauliflower (about 2 small head bunches), onion (1/4 of one), and zucchini (about 1/4 of a stalk). Sometimes I use corn. Just a mix.
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper

heat oven to 450 and put potato on a baking sheet with oil, salt, and pepper. bake 10 minutes on both sides. reduce heat to 350.
on oven cook onion until you like it. (I like mine clear). then add carrot and harder veggies. cook a few more minutes, about 3. add soft veggies and beans and spices and then potatoes. heat it all up.
in a casserole dish layer the bottom with salsa. fill up tortillas with mix and optional cheese. I like the mozzarella in this. pour salsa on top with leftover mix that didn't fit into tortillas. tonight instead of topping with with salsa (although I did put salsa on the bottom) I put a taco powder mix mixed with (about a cup of) water- add water until it doesn't taste too strong to you, and heated a little- and I poured that over the top. The boys like that better than the normal burritos with salsa on top. I also put cheese over the top, just a little, and foil
bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes. yum. sour cream. yummier.
I couldn't be a vegan. I mean, I could buy fake all that stuff I guess, but I am sure addicted to the dairy.
who else has a good burrito recipe?

No comments: