Saturday, October 20, 2007

fake meatball subs

Tonight I made fake meatball subs. Here is the link for fake meatballs and the tomato sauce.
The fun part of this is calling the boys in and we all take our sub bread (I tried french bread a few times but its more bread then balls, sub bread does the trick) that I had toasted some and we all assemble our sandwiches. I cut up green onions, mushrooms, and red peppers to put on them. I had some zucchini in the sauce too, since the lady at the farmers market gave me an extra one today. SO on mine I put on mayo and mustard (sounds gross but it makes the sandwich really really good), then the fake balls, then the tomato sauce, then pickles, mushrooms, and g.onions, and then mozzerella cheese, and a little parm sprinkled on top of that. they all went back in the oven until the cheesey cheese was melted. yummy.
Yesterday I had my job interview, and I was a wreck all day. We had to drive across the island so I put together my favorite travel lunch: hummus,
goat cheese, toasted bread I made (the 6 grain), apple slices, and usually I have carrots but I was out. yummy. But I couldn't have dinner, the days stress collapsed my insides.
The day before was meganachos. We used to get this at taco stand, and I try to make it but its never as good. Here is my tofu recipe for it:

Extra firm tofu, shake out water. Cut pieces fairly thin, about 1/2 inch from the end. In my cast iron skillet I heat up olive oil. The tofu really does benefit from some marination in soy sauce, but I procrastinate. So when the oil is hot put in the tofu. The first round of seasonings are:
soy sauce, enough to cover the top of each piece. Its easy to over soy, but I think that playing around with it is necessary because every one likes soy different. Then I coat the top with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When I say coat I mean I just shake it over until I see some on all the pieces.
When I flip them (when they start getting brown) I move the pieces around so they will cook evenly and add: cumin across each piece, fennel seeds (this is the secret ingredient that makes them taste like sausage, I use about 1/2 tablespoon), and cinnamon across each piece
When I flip again I put on each piece basil, thyme, and coriander.
When they start getting pretty cooked I cut them into smaller pieces and turn down the heat from med. to a little lower.

mega nachos:
1 can refried beans
I spread this across the bottom of the pan and bake on 350 degrees while the tofu cooks.
Next I cut up veggies to go on it. The ones I suggest are black olives, I like zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, red peppers, and green onions. When the beans are hot and the tofu is done I combine the veggies (raw), tofu, and beans in a casserole dish and top it with moz. cheese. yummmy.

No comments: