Friday, September 14, 2007

fake meatball night

ahh fake meatballs. always satisfying. I had all of that left over tofu from ravioli the other night, which used a surprisingly small amount of tofu. So I had all of this tofu mashed up with what was once frozen spinach and mushrooms. I weighed it, and it was a pound. This is good, cause thats how much I needed for my fake meatball recipe. Everyone said it was better than normal because the tofu had been sitting in flavor this week from the spinach, mushrooms, and then the salt, pepper, garlic sauce, and small amount of tomato sauce. This is how it went down:

1 pound tofu mixed with spinach and mushrooms *but usually I just do tofu
1/2 cup wheat germ
about 1/8 cup dried parsley
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon redpepper flakes
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Mix that all together with your hands.
Usually I have to really press the tofu for some times before I make this for it to taste good, cause if there is a little water you will taste it. I don't know why. Maybe you wont, but I do. So press first.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
put 2 tablespoons of oil on a baking sheet
roll these guys into balls, the suggested ball is 1 and 1/2 inch. I keep them small, but not too small. about 3 fit on my subroll. Then I stick them into the oven and flip them every ten minutes. They cook a total of 30 minutes.
This is what I do with them:
I put them into subs. with tomato sauce. Tonight I forgot we ate the left over sauce for lunch and had to make some real quick. I did this:
pureed the can of chopped tomatos.
added 2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
shook in basil and parsley and pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
This tasted like too sweet crap. I called clyde in. He suggested it needed to cook off. So I shut the lid and let it cook for 10 minutes. It tasted fine.
I cut up my sub buns (I used to make french bread for this but there was too much bread involved, go subroll unless you want mostly bread) put my sauce and balls and cheese on there and baked until crusty.
Usually I will put cut up vegetables on it, but were out of everything but carrots and cabbage. This was a generally good food day. I started clyde and I on multi-vitamins today. Since we have been writing down everything we eat AND I got that book that tells me the nutritional content of everything we eat I see we are not getting enough B12. protein yes. Zinc yes. B6 yes. B12 no. So I had no choice. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: