Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chowder

OK, I have been slack, but you a haven't missed much. Last night I cooked ravioli again, and the recipe is already on here. This one wasn't as good though, because I didn't magic bullet the tomatoes enough for the sauce and it was chunky, which I don't care for. The good news is that I found a frozen spinach that is acceptable. Its the leaf kind, its not all stringy and hard like the other kind. Leaf, birds eye, its not stringy.
Tonight I made the chowder clyde likes. I haven't made it in awhile, so it was exciting. I meant to measure out the spices to put on here, but forgot, so these are an estimate, add more or less to your taste

Chowder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 flour
a bulk of vegetables. I used a potato, a carrot, some broccoli, some of a zucchini, a can of corn, a can of black beans, and some green cabbage.
2 cloves of garlic
1 and 1/2 cup milk (I use rice)
1 and 1/2 cup water or veg broth (tonight I used broth, yum)

melt the butter in a soup pot
add flour and stir together, cook some
add the garlic and stir for about thirty seconds
add the vegetables and broth and milk and stir.
(Tonight I thought the zucchini was too mushy though, so I am going to future add that later. Also wait to add beans until right before its done)
This is where I add spices. salt and pepper, and sweet spices.
I usually use about a 1/2 to a teaspoon of marjoram, basil, parsley, dill (this is important, because a lot of the good flavor of the soup comes from the dill) thyme, and then some spice from red pepper flakes and some coriander.
I cook this until the potatoes are soft. I know your not supposed to boil milk, but I do it anyway and it tastes fine to me.
I make this with my biscuits. mmmm. buttery. (biscuits are in another post)
This is kind of a lot of butter with the biscuits and all, so its up to you. I rationalize it thinking I am putting the omega 3 flax in the biscuits too and that we don't eat meat, but still, its a lot of butter
So...if anyone makes this and can figure out how to use less butter and things to put in it let me know

No comments: