Sunday, September 23, 2007

stroganoff

ah, this week was not the best for food. tests, papers, sick, clyde working = eating like crap.
but tonight I feel normal again. new recipe.
I saw in the vegetarian times magazine this stroganoff recipe, and it had tempeh in it so I decided to make it. Here is what went down:

Ingredient list:
8 oz. mushrooms
8 oz tempeh
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
(OR 1 cup reg. flour)
1 tea dried mustard
1/4 tea nutmeg
1 and 1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup apple juice (but you can use vinegar)
1 cup chard
2 cup sour cream
4 cups veg broth
(but I suggest cutting the liquids in half, it was really soupy. I also would put corn starch in to thicken it, it was runny)
salt and pepper
noodles

(this is cooked over fettuccine or egg noodles, your choice, so keep noodle cooking time in mind when making this)
8 oz mushrooms (I used portabello)
8 oz tempeh (I used the smoked kind, I can't compare it to the others cause I don't know what it tastes like


1/4 cup soy sauce
Let the mushrooms and tempeh sit in the soy for 10 minutes

heres where the choices are: this was in a glucose free section of veg. times so they suggested
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
(but that was all too expensive for me to buy so I just used a cup of all purpose unbleached)
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

mix the starch, flour, and spices in a resealable bag. shake the tempeh and mushrooms in it and saute them for 8 minutes. take off heat and put into a bowl
In that pan put in:
1 and 1/2 cup onion
saute until you like
take out onions and put with tempeh mix
turn heat up to med. high and add:
1/2 cup apple juice
use to deglaze the pan for three minutes
then add
1 cup chard
(
chard is hard to come by in Hawaii, its like 5 dollars a bunch, so I used spinach. I would not suggest this. Chard is probably good though)
Cook 2 minutes, then add the onion, tempeh, mushrooms mix back in and turn down heat about mid and add:
4 cups veg broth
2 cups sour cream
Heat and put on noodles

No comments: