Saturday, September 8, 2007

bad pot luck dish

I really want to make a satisfying beans and rice dish that isn't Mexican. All I know how to make are Mexican and Italian foods. There has to be more the vegetarianism than that. Tonight i tried this recipe from my new cookbook that I kind of knew was going to suck, but I am desperate. It was a Turkish new potato casserole. Yeah. Potatoes are old. Clyde said it tasted like a pot luck dish. That you don't want to eat. He added he wouldn't order it in a restaurant. Like there are even vegetarian options in restaurants besides veggie burgers around here. So the recipe was onions, eggplants, potatoes, broccoli, black and green beans, and red pepper. I cooked the onions, then added the rest to saute for a few minutes. Then the spices. weak. 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika. I put a teaspoon in of all for good measure. Then I put in 3/4 cup of veggie broth and covered it with tomato puree and pieces mixed with garlic. This was baked in an increasingly hotter over (because the potatoes wouldn't cook I kept turning up the heat) until the potatoes cooked.
It was as bland as it sounds. But not bad. Just bland.
I made brown rice with veggie broth and cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and garlic. It was tasty.
This morning I tried french toast. I have never made french toast before. It was pretty good. Clyde said it was the best french toast he has ever had because it was savory. I did this:
Put in 2 eggs beat with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into a big bowl.
Mixed in 1 cup of rice milk
mixed in 1/2 teaspoon of rum (but you can use sugar)
mixed in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

put this in flat pan and cut bread pieces from clydes fabulous 6 grain bread and let them soak on each side for a few minutes, then I fried those bitches up. with maple syrup, it was good. but filling.

2 comments:

Shannon Rae said...

I thought this would be an article about making a bad pot luck dish. : )

The worst pot luck dish I ever made was for an art gallery opening in Boone, NC at the Nth Gallery.

I decided to experiment with some no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies. I wanted to make them healthier and use Natural Peanut Butter.

It's the kind of peanut butter that separates and you have to stir together to use properly because there isn't any unnatural bonding agents inside. This does not work for cookies.

I'm sitting there at the art gallery and someone made a comment about the cookies, "You need a spoon to eat these.'' I look over at the bowl they were in and they had just all melted together into one big pile of chocolate and oatmeal. They were still tasty, but yeah, a spoon was needed to pick them apart from each other and eat them.

Why does this stuff always happen when I go to show off my cooking in the outside world? I have learned that it's a rookie mistake to try a new recipe out when cooking for other people. Always stick to what you know when bringing a dish to a pot-luck.

chrissy said...

But the o.g. chocolate no bake cookies were to best. I used to love it when you made those