Saturday, August 18, 2007

what about tempeh?

I am kind of afraid of tempeh. its the texture. I think the first time I tried it was in boone, North carolina, at a small coffee shop on a morning platter. It was very untasteful and the texture was not to my liking. about a year ago I tried to cook it, but I thought it was over from the start and didn't put too much effort into it. But I think I need another meat alternative than just tofu. Here is what i have been reading about tempeh:
(this is pure wikipedia talking)
Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but tempeh is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber and vitamins compared to tofu, as well as firmer texture and stronger flavor. Tofu, however, has a higher concentration of protein per carbohydrates, and is thought to be more versatile in dishes.
(what is the difference between protein and protein per carbohydrate? I don't know)
and holy crap- this is when I find out wikipedia has a cookbook. who knew.
so I put into google "protein per carbohydrate" and the three hits didn't tell me anything.
mysterous.
I found this tempeh site that sells kits for people to make their own, with recipes.
http://www.tempeh.info

No comments: