Friday, August 17, 2007

I ate out every meal today


Today me and the clyde got married. That meant one thing important to me, I can unashamedly eat out every meal. I made breakfast for me though.
So me and the clyde left to go to kukio resort to get married. we were nervous mostly. She was cool though, she wanted to get all into the aspects of the relationship. We decided to head to Kona to eat at this place clyde ate with anna and tish, a greek restraunt. Last night I got on the internet to look up vegetarian restraunts on the big island, but there are not any listed Online except for the hot bars at the health food store. nope. So the greek restraunt passed the clyde test, because he had already eaten there and wanted to go back.
Here is some background: I love restraunts and clyde hates them. He hates being served, he thinks the food is not as good as mine, and he doesn't eat any meat so there are very limited choices for him. I love restraunts. I love being served. I usually want restaurants for food I can't cook, like chinese and thai, but there are not that many good types of those kinds of restraunts around here. oddly enough. And its all meat based. I eat chicken, so sometimes I am better off than clyde, but I don't eat it very often when with clyde.
So when clyde has eaten somewhere and would go back thats a good sign. it passed his heavy criteria. We go to this greek restraunt, cassandras, and clyde explains to me we are eating all appatizers, because those are the vegetarian options. He says " it will be fun to order four or five appatizers and share them." I agree after looking at the outdoor menu. We got to sit on the second floor on the veranda.


We got a mixture of things I have always wanted to try, stuff I like but is too excessive to cook, and stuff I had never heard of.
I always wanted to try Dolmades. They are in about every cookbook, but I don't know how to get my hands on any grape leaves. So this looked like my chance. I don't have a specific recipe because I didn't make it, so here is one from online, it looks about to be what I ate.
http://www.mediterrasian.com/cuisine_of_month_dolmades.htm
Mine was cold. I am not a lover of the flavor of vinegar. This will always exclude me from the enjoyment of many foods. I think the leaves just have that flavor. I'm glad I didn't make them at home, or I would have thought I messed them up and would be upset I wasted a dinner on something I don't like.
The thing I got that is too excessive to make is Spanokopita. I have had it in Greek restaurants in the past and it is a filo pastry with spinach and feta. its so rich. and good. I can't make this, its such an excess of cheese and butter and only one vegetable. I have tried over the last two years variations of this recipe with little success. When adding more vegetables and reducing the cheese its more like a dry strudel. and sauce doesn't help it. The most success I had was last thanksgiving, but I don't know what I did different that time. So that was one of our appetizers, it was worth adding it in.
One of the dips we got that i had never tried before is Tzatziki – dip of Greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dill, vinegar and olive oil. It was good, even with the vinegar, but a little spicy. It was served with pita that was soft and grilled. the other dip was kafteri. we agreed this was the best item on the table. it was a red pepper dip, and thank goodness I discovered red peppers being good last month. They are a new part of my food repertoire.
For dinner we went to Maui Taco. This is our favorite restaurant in Hilo, and we were tired after todays activity. We got our favorite sandy beach, a burrito filled with black beans and rice, and covered with enchilada sauce. so yummy. we always get that.




No comments: