Wednesday, August 22, 2007

lunch as a nemesis

What I really want to write is a lunch cookbook. But its too ambitious. I mean lunches I can bring out into the field, not ones I can heat up in the microwave. Those are dinners reheated. leftovers. I want lunch. I think I have a food OCD, where I get up and have to eat just because I think I have to. I spend a lot of time thinking about lunch, and I have to eat by a certain time every day, even if I am not hungry, and then repeat with dinner. Lately I haven't been cooking dinner, because clyde has been at work which makes me lazy. Lunch at home is only slightly better, because I have to make something simple and quick and not a large quantity. Thats a pretty hard thing to do for me, I think in recipes, which are normally elaborate, or at least the ones I read are. Except for salad. How many days in a row can I eat salad for? So here is what I have been eating for lunch last two days:

Black bean tacos. I had a lot of black beans from the hurricane stock up and clyde suggested this. Tacos at home are such a good idea, cause they are cheap and they taste just as good as bean tacos anywhere you go. especially if you have sour cream. I didn't realize until a few years ago that I could make tacos at home very easily, with more ingredients that are too expensive in restaurants to add on.

Today I had pasta without sauce to make it quicker. I wish I had breadcrumbs. Tossing pasta with breadcrumbs, oil, and feta is surprisingly really really good. I know I can make breadcrumbs, but they aren't as good. Today I heated up between 1/8 and 1/4 cup oil and put in about 7 basil leaves from the backyard, 1 sage leaf ditto, 1 rosemary stalk ditto, and 4 chive stalks ditto. also 2 garlic cloves and redpepper flakes. I cut up vegetables and steamed them over the noodle water and tossed with feta and Parmesan cheese. It was a really tasty quick lunch. I need to look at recipes.
Any good lunch suggestions?

No comments: