Saturday, August 18, 2007

lazyyyyy


Breakfast was usual for the last few weeks:
scrambled eggs with melted cheese, homemade toasted bread, some apple.

bread recipe:

2 and 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast 1/4 cup warm water 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I have this because its cheap at the bulk store, but if you don't just add some sugar).
Mix these ingredients in a big bowl that can hold lots of flour later for about 10 minutes until the yeast looks all bubbly.

Meanwhile mix:
4 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 2 cuts whole wheat flour (sometimes I substitute a cup of this for blended up six grain cereal from the health food store)
Mix this together

When the yeast has risen add to it:
2 tablespoon Olive oil 1 tablespoon of salt 2 cups warm water.

Add half of the flour to the liquid and mix it. Then add the rest. I kind of get most of it to stick together in the bowl, and then dump it on the floured board and mix the rest of it together. If you are adding any herbs like fresh basil or rosemary or parsley do so now. This is where I call clyde to knead it because I don't have a kitchen tractor (mixer), and he adds flour to it when it sticks and kneads it for about 10 minutes. Usually I can push in the dough and it comes back to me. I put it in a big bowl and coat all sides with oil and cover it for 1 hour.
after an hour put it in the containers it will cook in. I vary between bread pans and just making a Italian bread type shape on a baking sheet. Oil the pans you use. Let it rise on these pans covered for another hour.
heat over to 450 degrees.
it goes in at that temp for 10 minutes.
reduce temp to 350 degrees
the cooking time here varies. Its about 30 minutes, but I start checking on it at 25.
SO good.
I also made a spinach salad because a bad of spinach was on sale at the bulk grocery store for 1.50$, but its your basic salad. No recipe necessary. But I want to get into the recipe of it.

1 comment:

clydebink said...

I am her kitchen tractor.