Sunday, November 18, 2007

baked pasta, better than normal

both boys liked it a lot
so you know its good

Baked pasta (yes, there are a lot of steps)
make sauce and tofu at same time with noodles while cutting up vegetables to steam. good luck.

Sauce
same sauce thats on here a hundred times. but this time I mixed it with a white sauce. here are both:
red:
2 cans chopped tomatoes magic bulletted
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
a bunch of basil from back yard, or just shake some in
salt and pepper
a sprig of rosemary from the back yard
1 teaspoon of sugar
a few shakes of parsley
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

saute onion
add tomatoes and everything else
simmer until tasty

white sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
4 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 and 1/4 cup milk (I used rice milk, which takes longer to thicken and tastes sweeter in the end, your milk is up to you)
salt, pepper, 1 clover of garlic
melt butter (Med low heat)
put in flour and stir whole time, about 3 min
pour in milk, turn heat up to med high and stir
it will start to boil
keep stirring
add garlic and salt and pepper
keep stirring (seems like it should be getting thick by now...I get impatient, clyde comes and stirs for me, because I cannot wait. It takes a while)
should be getting thicker
Keep stirring
thick. taste it occasionally. I quit when its good

Tofu:
Clyde thinks the tofu in this dish wasn't suited. So its a work in progress. Its the same tofu I always make. Suggestions?

Then I cut up a pretty good amount of mushrooms, a lot of broccoli and cauliflower.
you want a lot
you can add squash, or eggplant. you know, whatever.
I put it in the strainer and put it over my boiling pasta water (I used penne for this dish) while boiling my pasta until its kind of soft.
giada puts her vegetables in a 450 degree oven with olive oil and roasts 15 minutes. I have done this and its good, but you know, time consuming.

Combine sauce, noodles (I used a whole box), vegetables, and about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and the not-fitting tofu. mix and put into a casserole dish. I put small chunks of butter spaced out on top and a layer of parmeasean on top.
bake in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

clydebink said...

testing the comment notifications