Friday, January 25, 2008

clyde got his wisdom teeth out

poor little clyde cannot chew. So I am on the soft food kick again. like thanksgiving, only instead of antibiotics they were fully removed. Miso soup would have been good for tonight, but the tooth extraction was unexpected, and I grocery shop on the weekend for the whole week, so I did not have the ingredients. All I have on fridays are left over vegetables and flour, pantry items, etc. So I made a mixture of things that are soft to give him a spectrum. Unfortunately if you boil vegetables as much as I did tonight they lose all nutritional value. but whatever, we gotta eat. First I made mashed potatoes/cauliflower. I like to mix cauliflower with the potatoes to lessen the amount of carbohydrates. Next I made cream of broccoli soup from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook grandma got me for Christmas. I deviated a lot because I didn't have too much broccoli. Clyde really liked it.

Cream of Broccoli soup (with mushrooms)
2 cups cut broccoli (but recipe suggests 4 cups broccoli, no mushrooms, you be the judge)
1 cup cut mushrooms
1 and 1/2 cup broth (I used vegetable, but you can use whatever kind)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk or cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Boil the cut vegetables for about 10 minutes. I put them directly into the strainer, because I don't like them to be hot when I magic bullet them because of the steam buildup.
Next you make your basic cream sauce, melt the butter, add the flour, stir for a minute.
Then add the milk and stir that for another minute. this is all on med. heat. It will get really thick during this time.
Next stir in 3/4 cup broth.
Put all or half (I did all cause of clyde, the recipe says just blend half and put the other directly in.) of the vegetables into the magic bullet with the other 3/4 cup of broth. I love the magic bullet. blend
add to soup.
add the cheese
season with salt and pepper.

Last I made biscuits. thats on here a bunch of time and I am too lazy to link it.
I gotta find more soft food recipes.

No comments: