Saturday, June 5, 2010

Resist, then give in

I had to resist all caffe ine for a little while since my acid reflux became constant and uncontrollable, and since my sugar is mostly in my beverages, I also had less sugar. Then, when I got my medication I gave in. Thats been going on since. So now its back to the resist side. I am going for a one sugar and caffeine drink a day (total is one drink). I just read this thing about controlling your blood sugar for keeping alert. Which I and everyone knows, but I still have to give in and my sugar intake has really increased a lot so I have been pretty anxious which causes compulsive talking, and thats never good. Resisting is fun, too.
I have been really successful this week thinking about how to divide my recipes into categories. First, I think of the base, which is the pasta, or rice, or tortilla. etc.
Then the protein
Then the vegetables
Then the spices
Then the sauce.
The cooking method (baked, loose, fried, grilled, boiled)
The recipe practically writes itself. I was successful in this with a pasta dish I made the other night. Here is what I did:

cook 1 box of whole wheat penne until its still kind of hard, cause we are baking this in sauce
I made a sauce out of about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 1 cup of rice milk, and almost all of a wedge of fontina cheese. maybe over a cup. I made this in a large pot, because I am adding everything to it. I cooked an onion in this pan before I added the milk and cheese, and also added about 2 tablespoons of butter. Then I added the vegetables. I added mushrooms that were quartered, some spicy greens that were called kale but I have my doubts, and broccoli. For my protein I added some tofurky cut into cubes and some green peas. for the spices I did spicy-ish since its a white sauce. black pepper, paprkia, and red pepper flakes. I put all of this in my thickened sauce and added the noodles. Then I put it in a 350 degree oven until it was cooked. about 20 minutes. it was pretty good.

1 comment:

Shannon Rae said...

God, this sounds so tasty. I would love to make this at some point.