Saturday, December 8, 2007

TVP sloppy joes

So backtracking:
During thanksgiving clyde had a infected tooth, and couldn't really chew. So I delayed the holiday in order to prepare only soft foods for clyde. This was soft and good, we like this recipe:

TVP sloppy joes
Ingredients
1 cup TVP
3/4 cup boiling water
1 diced onion
1 minced carrot (This is what I usually use, but I thought carrot would be hard for clyde, so instead I used about 6 mushrooms)
1/2 zucchini
1/3 cup water
28 oz of tomato sauce
1 and 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar
1 table of molasses
2 tables of chili powder
1 and 1/2 tea garlic powder
1 and 1/2 tea Tabasco

SO you...
Combine TVP and boiling water= set aside
Saute vegetables in the 1/3 cup of water in a deep skillet for 5-7 minutes (or until very soft if you have an infected wisdom tooth)
add tvp and rest of ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes

I like to buy round hamburger buns from the bakery. this is pretty good substitute.

I made it with the mashed potatoes with rojo sauce.
Rojo sauce:
6 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of oil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 cup of basil (if you have fresh, adjust for dry-I just shake it in when i use dry)
1/2 tsp. thyme (dried)
1 and 1/2 tsp. Paprika
pinch cayanne
1/4 tsp. pepper

Heat together and mix to mashed potatoes, I also poured a little heavy cream in the sauce to add too

No comments: